Follow Layla Hunt on Instagram @layla_grace_dance
Photo - Behind The Smile Photography
"The soul becomes dyed by the color of its thoughts!"
That's one of my favorite quotes or ideas. I'm sure you have heard similar ones...."Your life is a reflection of your thoughts". "If you change your thoughts, you change your life." etc
As a dancer, it is so important to guard your thoughts! Dance is one of the most incredible art forms on earth. We can express ourselves, tell stories, make music, mold and even sculpt... all by using our bodies. It is also one of the most subjective sports and art forms and with that comes a slew of thoughts.
Love dance for what it is... ART! The foundation of dance will always stay the same, but there are parts of it, layers, that are always changing. Evolving. We are surrounded by talent. Talent that comes in different shapes, forms, colors and genders. It is so easy to get sucked into the vortex of comparison and stinking thinking!
DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU!!
Dancers can be brutally hard on themselves. Super Critical. They push their physical limits daily and their creative minds run wild. If we're not careful, we can easily find ourselves stuck in a world of comparison and our once bright and colorful world fades to grey. If you ever find yourself in this rabbit hole... chew on this.
- You are what you think you are! Don't let your thoughts limit your success... Instead, use your thoughts to get you there!!
- Theres no one else like you!! Explore your gifts and talents... there is something unique and special about you that the world needs to see!! Be that!!
- You should only compete with yourself!! Set out to be the best version of YOU that you can be.
- There will always be someone "better" than you... let that push and inspire you, not break you!
- You will have victories and failures... use both as teachable moments and always be humble and kind.
- Always set your mind on your goal... EXPECT to win. NEVER accept a failure. Stay hungry. Try again. Never give up!!
- Appreciate the talent around you and celebrate their SUCCESS!!
- Stay teachable. Never, ever stop learning. A wise person once told me to learn something from every single person I come in contact with. The good and the bad.
- Surround yourself with people that push you to greatness.
- Stay humble
At the end of the day, we are what we think. We will only go as far as we think we can go. So remove whatever limitations you might have... and let your thoughts paint your soul beautiful!!!
YOU CAN and YOU WILL,