Follow Lyla on Instagram @lyla_livesdance
Photo by - J. Gramling Photography
BEING A GOOD TEAMMATE:
One of the most incredible things about being a dancer is that I get to work closely with my incredible teammates on a common goal. We spend hours together in the studio challenging each other and learning how to express ourselves through dance. We also get to share our progress with others through performances and competitions. The beauty is that we can all come together as a group to create and perform something really meaningful, despite our different backgrounds and experiences. We rely on our teammates for support and to challenge us to be better.
1. Appreciate your teammates and try to be a really good friend. Remember that your teammates are more than just dancers... they are your partners. And just like you, they may have lots of unique interests, opinions, and experiences. Differences make you stronger!
2. Be sure to play and hang out outside of the studio so you can get to know each other really well. Make an effort to learn what makes your teammates tick! Try to support everyone's individual strengths and challenges.
3. Communicate respectfully with one another when you are happy and also when you are frustrated. Be a good listener too.
4. Most importantly, please remember that your strength as a team is not dependent on how well you do at competitions. It's much more about the commitment you make to one other, the work you all put in, and how much you grow as a team.
5. Make each other laugh as much as you can.
Have so much fun!